Sunday, August 2, 2015

We Ain't "One and Done"

It's pretty common knowledge amongst the general Christian community that when you are baptized, all your mistakes, all your sins, all your transgressions, all your emotional baggage is washed away. And, of course, that is only possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. There is no other way to be made spiritually clean and pure again.
So, what happens if you mess up again after you've already been baptized? Is someone going to come and tell you that you blew your one chance? Is someone going to tell you that that was is it? That you're done now? But if you can't be baptized every time you get yourself "dirty," how can you be ever made clean again?
And the answer to that is the sacrament. Taking the sacrament is like virtually being baptized again. It's like being made clean all over again.
You don't realize what a blessing that is until you've hit a really low point again. 
Before I met the missionaries, I was pretty much at rock bottom; I was so lost and confused. They taught me about God's plan for us, God's plan for me. And they taught me more about what the Savior , and what He did for me. And when I was baptized, I felt a certain peace, a big weight lifted off my shoulders. It felt like a return of innocence that I lost a long, long time ago. 
Since my baptism, I have in no way been perfect. I have fallen short every week in one way or another. But most of my "sins" have been minor compared to what I was guilty of before my baptism. And I guess I believed they were pretty easy to get rid of. And then there were times where I didn't think I'd ever be able to be clean again. But through real and sorrowful repentance, by taking the sacrament, and committing to be better than I was the week the before, I was able to feel renewed again, to feel refreshed. I don't know how I used to deal with guilt before. I don't know how I used to let go of my mistakes before I learned how to really apply the Atonement. 
I'm just really grateful for the sacrament. I don't think I would have the courage, the will, to continue going to church if I had to continue to live with the mistakes I've made since I was baptized. I can't imagine how hard that would be. But I'm glad that I don't actually have to live with it, thanks to the Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment